Name of the Method
Fruits in a Bag
Fruits in a Bag
30 minutes with reflection time included
The materials needed are:
- Chair for each participant
- 25 oranges
- 3 raw eggs
- 2 buckets/ baskets
- Flipchart paper/ Whiteboard
Arrange chairs in an even square, with some space so they are not touching each other.
● Place a basket/bucket with 25 oranges and 3 raw eggs in one corner, and place an
empty basket/bucket in the diagonal corner.
● Explain the rules of the game:
○ The group challenge is to pass as many objects from one bucket/basket to the
○ Everyone must participate and touch each item once but ONLY once
○ You cannot pass an object to the person who is in your same row
○ You must stay seated in your chair
○ Objects should not touch the floor. Any object that touches the floor is out and
must be left there.
● They have 10 mins to prepare and decide:
○ How many oranges will they pass?
○ How many eggs will they pass?
○ In how much time will they do it?
○ who will clean the egg(s) if the egg(s) fall?
● Once the group has accomplished the task, have them sit down in the circle and reflect:
○ How was this experience for you? How do you feel?
○ What happened?
○ What helped you to work as a team? (You can write down responses on flipchart
○ What didn’t help you to work as a team?
○ What can we learn from this activity?
○ What commitment do you want to make to yourself moving forward for one
action step you can take to work more conducively in the team?
The main aims are to:
- To provide a group challenge that fosters
- To have participants reflect on what it takes to
work well in teams